Bardai Brahmin families have been settling in the UK for the best part of 70 years dating back to the 1940s. Since then, the number has increased significantly with a peak in the 1970s when families from East Africa arrived.
Many of these families have settled in London, Leicester and Birmingham and Bardai Brahmins can be found in a vast array of different areas.
In 1986, various delegates from these Samajs started to discuss ways and means of developing a forum in which they could discuss and establish unity between each other. In this, the seeds of the Federation were sown!
The Federation of Sri Bardai Brahmin Samajs UK was formed in 1987, where all regional Bardai Samajs could meet as a national body to exchange views and organise events.
The Federation has organised various events:
- 1987 – Samehlan (London) (Video)
- 1989 – Samehlan (Leicester) (Video / Photos)
- 1992 – Sports Event (Peterborough)
- 1996 – Samehlan
- 1997 – BBEST Launch
- 1999 – Millennium Programme & Directory Launch (Video)
- 1997 – Diwali Get-Together (Peterborough)
- 2002 – Diwali Get-Together (Peterborough)
- 2004 – Sports (Peterborough)