Bardai Brahmin families have been settling in the UK for the best part of 70 years dating back to the 1940s. Since then, the number has increased significantly with a peak in the 1970s when families from East Africa arrived.
Many of these families have settled in London, Leicester and Birmingham and Bardai Brahmins can be found in a vast array of different areas.
In 1986, various delegates from these Samajs started to discuss ways and means of developing a forum in which they could discuss and establish unity between each other. In this, the seeds of the Federation were sown!
The Federation of Sri Bardai Brahmin Samajs UK was formed in 1987, where all regional Bardai Samajs could meet as a national body to exchange views and organise events.
The Federation has organised various events:
- 1987 – Samehlan (London) (Video)
- 1989 – Samehlan (Leicester) (Video / Photos)
- 1992 – Sports Event (Peterborough)
- 1996 – Samehlan
- 1997 – BBEST Launch Leicester
- 1999 – Millennium Programme & Directory Launch (Video)
- 1997 – Diwali Get-Together (Peterborough)
- 2002 – Diwali Get-Together (Peterborough)
- 2004 – Sports and Health Awareness (Peterborough)
- 2016 – Bapu’s Janma Jayanti and Murti Prathista Pattotsav Hindu Mandir Leicester
- 2018 – Sant Sri Trikanji Bapu Janma Utsav & Presentations Leicester
One of the two remaining member Samajs decided to leave the Federations and therefore the Federation was finally dissolved in early 2020 having only one member Samaj left in it.
Funds in BBEST, that are ring fenced for education of Bardai Brahmins, was transferred by agreement to Sri Bardai Brahmin Samaj (Leicester) UK a registered charity. Visit: https://www.bardaionline.com/bbest/
General funds were equally distributed to the two member Samajs – London and Leicester in January 2020.